This is a popular dish with the Assamese people of the state of Assam in North East India. This dish uses sodium bi carbonate as a seasoning agent. Dishes of these style are known locally as a “khar”. This particular dish is known as Omita (Papaya) Khar.
500 gms (approx) of green papaya diced
20 gms of fresh ginger julienned
3 cloves of garlic julienned
4-5 green chillies julienned
• Take 2 tbs of mustard oil in a wok. Add the ginger, garlic and sauté for a minute on a medium flame.
• Add the diced green papaya and stir it in. Saute for a minute or two
• Add the green chillies
• Add 1 cup of water. Bring it to a boil. Cover the wok and cook on low flame till the papaya is tender and almost mushy.
• Add more water if required. We are looking for a consistency like a porridge.
• Add 1 tea spoon of sodium bicarbonate and cook it for another minute
• Garnish with coriander and serve.